Thursday, January 1, 2009

Everything is Coming Up Roses

Good morning 2009! What exciting adventures will you have in store for us?

As you know, today is the 120th Tournament of Roses in the fair city of Pasadena, CA. Growing up near the area, I got to participate in all the pageantry and excitement. I was lucky enough to grow up in an area where the floats passed by my house every year. It became a family tradition for us to stand outside and watch the floats go by.

Even more exciting was after the all the public viewings, when the floats would return to be dismantled, the ever so wonderful float operators would let us pick all the flowers we wanted from the floats.

Sadly, I didn't make the Royal Court (made it to the final 75) and never got to wave to the crowds with my princess gown and tiara. But I do think I'm more than making up for it now!

Gentle reader, will you be watching the parade this year? Now that I am more aware of the different types of flowers I realize how informative the commentators with all their explanations of the various flowers not to mention the new ideas you can incorporate into your wedding - that spray of phalaenopsis orchids will look just divine along the aisle.

So if you no plans other than doing some wedding planning and reading this blog, take a moment to play a little Where's Waldo with the Rose Parade and see how many flowers you can spot or which ones you are using in your wedding. You'll be impressed with how much you know!

Image via Tournament of Roses.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...